Friday, November 24, 2006

Don't go mini-breaking my heart....

Tomorrow, Boyfriend and I are going on a mini-break, a word which gives Leon no end of amusement, but strikes fear into my heart. I'm just certain that Boyfriend and I are going to have a massive row provoked by something absurdly small, like towel usage or who gets to order the guinea fowl if we both want it.

I can't help thinking that doing any self-consciously romantic activity is likely to lead to the opposite of romance - like those party organiser who tries too hard to jolly everyone along, not realising that regimentation is the enemy of fun.

Talking of romance, Boyfriend bought me the complete box set of Sex and The City (the gift that says - you're a drippy hormone-addled girl, but I love you) which I have been tearing through at a rate of knots. I've heard lots of criticism of it recently - Indy sex columnist Catherine Townsend got really shirty on Screen Burn about the fact they keep their bras on in bed, then Lucy Mangan in The Guardian opined that the girls were rubbish role models, based on the scene where Carrie is more upset about her Manolos being stolen than her wallet.

Well, yah boo sucks to them. Before Sex and The City, the idea of a female-led comedy or drama was, er, laughable. There was Cybill, but that was extremely ropey in places, and there was.... see, I'm already thinking about Babes In The Wood. And that's a bad place to be.

Besides, I've being trying to understand the following question for ages; maybe you can help me. What is intrinsically more shallow about appreciating, studying and collecting shoes than, say, modern art? It sounds horrifically pseud-y to put it that way, but really - why is fashion less interesting or worthwhile than theatre?

Maybe that argument could be the one we have on the mini-break.

9 Comments:

Anonymous paul haine said...

"Before Sex and The City, the idea of a female-led comedy or drama was, er, laughable."

Ellen, Roseanne, Absolutely Fabulous, Ally McBeal...sure, they're all shit, but then so is Sex and the City, so I don't feel too bad. It's not like Sex and the City was the first female-led comedy/drama ever, anyway.

Favourite Family Guy quote: "Peter Griffin: They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot."

It's funny because it's true.

11/24/2006 8:22 pm  
Anonymous Laura said...

There's actually been loads of British female-led dramas. Think 'Band of Gold', 'Bad Girls' (the early series before it got rubbish) or any of the Kay Mellor series.

To clear up though - by 'mini-break' do you mean 'weekend away' and not some kind of Ross/Rachel break-up?

On another note, I have come round to shoes. Irregular Choice shoes are definitely little pieces of art, whatever anyone says.

11/24/2006 8:26 pm  
Blogger galatea said...

Yes, yes... ok. You have me.

But I still maintain that Sex and The City is in some way different and ground-breaking. One day, I'll think of why.

11/24/2006 8:30 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the early part of this post makes me think of one thing.

pub crawls regimented by a ginger german. and fun. the two hand in hand.

11/25/2006 2:48 am  
Blogger LĂ©onie said...

It's because of the sex.

Ally McBeal was entertaining, but all Ally wanted ever was true love. Whole episodes were dedicated to her guilt at having any sexual urges whatsoever. Also I always felt gripped with the fear that her legs were just going to snap clean in half. Ab Fab, great, but more of a farce than a sitcom, really. Ellen and Roseanne are just clean wholesome humour, with Ellen's sexuality talked about in euphemisms.

Sex and the City is annoying in parts, and yes it is highly irritating that they wear their bras in bed, but the whole thing is aimed at exploding the myth that women are less sexual than men. Regardless of how successful you believe it to be in terms of that aim, it still talks openly about female sexuality like no programme ever has before.

As for the modern art vs shoes thing, well. I don't see why there cannot be room in one person's head to appreciate art AND shoes. Beautifully made shoes are a feat (sorry) of great engineering. I love them and am not ashamed to admit it.

Hope your mini-break goes wonderfully. Don't let the guinea fowl it up.

11/25/2006 1:44 pm  
Anonymous lb said...

I think the problem with the 'mini-break' is that the weight of expectation lies a little too heavily upon it. Usually such a high proportion of it is spent travelling, organising hotels, restaurants etc (all activities providing a guaranteed flashpoint for any couple) there's very little time for actual romance, whereas with a week's holiday you at least get the time to relax a bit.

Solution: go as close to home as possible and spend of much of the time in bed as possible. It's the only way.

11/27/2006 1:10 pm  
Blogger Bowleserised said...

I think I want to watch the Liver Birds and see if they were actually more feminist/full of self esteem than the Allys and the Carries and then write an opinion piece for Guardian Womens Pages. Which they probably wouldn't want because it's not exactly topical.

I did love SaTC though.

11/27/2006 7:42 pm  
Blogger galatea said...

What you need is a new comedy which is either full of women, or has none, to provide the topical angle beloved of newspaper supplements.

I bet the Liver Birds were in no way feminist, in the same way that pretty much anything pre-Fawlty Towers seems positively dinosaur-like in its characterisation.

And yes, Leonie, you're right. That's the point I would have made if only I had thought of it.

11/28/2006 12:54 pm  
Blogger lady miss marquise said...

I love Sex and the City as well.
And I'm not afraid to admit it... ;o)

11/30/2006 1:42 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home