Friday, October 20, 2006

Identity theft

I know, I know, ok, that there's no point having a blog and just leaving it for days on end, like leftover pizza in the fridge. My reasons for not blogging are both tedious and manifold, so let's get them over with as quickly as possible. First, I was hurt by the suggestion my blog was boring (I know, diddums, but still - everything I could think to write suddenly seemed deeply mundane) which you will find in the comments below.

There's also the fact that I have ingested so much Charlie Booker (through my eyes, I hasten to add) over the past fortnight that I was concerned that anything I wrote would just turn into a poor Screen Burn pastiche. You know: Lots of descriptions of me shouting "How DARE you? ACTUALLY how DARE you?" at innocent bystanders, references to shitting pine cones and the use of the word 'bumpoo'.

Thankfully, this week I put aside Screen Burn, Screen Wipe, Screen Saver (I made that one up, but it's only a matter of time) and TV Go Home and so have some possiblity of thinking - and writing - like myself again.

But then I got ill with a cold. Properly ill, as well, in a 'is it meningitis?' way (the lesser form of the cold is the 'is it flu?' variety). And decided instead to start reading every Modesty Blaise book in existence. Six down, and I have to take a breather. When I left Willie and Modesty, he'd been pushed out of an aircraft somewhere over Africa without a parachute, in a straitjacket, strapped to a chair, and she'd been imprisoned in a cage with an irate mountain gorilla and a bumbling English doctor called Giles.

Words can't express how much I am enjoying these books (and there's another half dozen left!), so much that I have suspended all cynicism and simply coo over them with a sense of slack-jawed awe. I just can't bring myself to criticise them, even though the scenarios are preposterous and Peter O'Donnell has a distressing need to describe exactly what Modesty's wearing at inappropriate moments. I'm human, ok? I love.

Wait. That was a Charlie Brooker quote, wasn't it? Shit. I need to detox.

15 Comments:

Blogger Bowleserised said...

I wrote a comment sympathising but lost it because FUGGING BETA told me I wasn't logged in (although I have my gmail account open) and made me jump through many hoops.

*shakes fist at Blogger*

10/21/2006 7:40 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boring. Don't care.

10/21/2006 1:46 pm  
Blogger galatea said...

Fuck off and write something yourself then.

10/21/2006 6:12 pm  
Anonymous paul haine said...

Well then, get yourself a proper domain name and proper hosting and proper software and problem solved. Blogger is for the little people.

10/21/2006 7:39 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did write something myself. It read something like, "Boring. Don't care."

98 per cent of your posts are interesting, engaging and well-written. Why bother putting crap like that up? You know you don't need to.

You've let your blog down, you've let your readers down and you've let your self down. But worst of all, you've let Wendy Cope down.

10/22/2006 12:21 am  
Anonymous taste said...

Blimey anonymous, it'd be nice if your comments criticised constructively (or alliteratively). Whether you approve of a post or not, you don't need to be a cunt about.

The blogger beta integrates blogger with the rest of the google suite. Your gmail name is your overarching identity for the whole lot (gmail, google calendars, picasa's web integration, payments, groups and a bunch of others, along with blogger as well now). If you want blogger to show up an alternate identity, you just create a secondary email account with your chosen blogger identity and link it to that.

You can then either add the second email address to your primary account and make it the default in gmail's settings, (you set it to default so that blogger uses it) and then you get a drop down box for 'sent as' at the top of your email compositions. From here you can decide from which name/account you wish to send it.

Or, alternatively, if your computer has two different internet browsers installed, you can keep the accounts separate and be logged into both simultaneously.

Hope that helps.

As paul says though, it's damn good blog, worthy of a proper set up.

10/22/2006 6:15 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

'Taste' is a funny name for a lap dog; and how does it type with its tiny little paws?

10/23/2006 10:08 am  
Blogger Sarah Louise Parry said...

I've stayed with the old skool version, just becoz I've heard scare stories from other bloggers about how it can basically frig-up your blog!

10/23/2006 11:50 am  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

Not switched to beta yet, partly because I've not been given the option. Must say, pretty glad about it too.

10/23/2006 1:27 pm  
Blogger lady miss marquise said...

I'm debating switching to Beta, I can't make my mind up.

Is it just the annoyance of the gmail thing, or are there other flaws?!

10/24/2006 1:40 am  
Anonymous taste said...

Slowly.

10/24/2006 2:59 pm  
Blogger galatea said...

Well, I think that it has also been known to eat people's templates. Oh, and if you don't like it, you can't go back.

It also interferes with you commenting on people who haven't upgraded to Beta, I hear.

10/25/2006 10:04 am  
Blogger a.c.t said...

I do quite like the fact that you can have seperate sections of your blog with beta, but it sounds all too risky. Oh anonymous, please make youself known. We're all dying to read your blog.

10/29/2006 8:39 pm  
Anonymous joanna said...

so boring that anonymous keeps coming back for more.

ignore the foolclaat, galatea.

11/01/2006 7:36 pm  
Blogger Tamburlaine said...

Not commented for ages, but don't worry about Anonymous.

The only Modesty Blaise I've read is the one you describe in your post, The Impossible Virgin, which is fantastic fun. Modesty and Willie are a great team. O'Donnell does go a little overboard, I'll agree, with her clothes, but never gratuitously so. The books were probably quite racy for the times when they were written, but taken now, are certainly less misogynistic than James Bond. I like the fact that, in The Impossible Virgin, Modesty is the one protecting Pennyfeather, rather than the other way round. Hope you enjoy the rest!

11/06/2006 2:48 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home