Sunday, July 23, 2006

My week; in the style of Taki.

You may notice that I haven't been blogging this week. That would be because I have been piloting a revolutionary new technique I like to call "holidaying at home". It's the same as a normal holiday, only without the travelling, spending time with one's parents, crowds, foreigners, funny foreign food and enforced swimwear that blight the experience. I wish it had been without the heat of a foreign holiday, but as we all know Britain melted this week to a large puddle and all anyone did was stand around in fountains (girls) or take their shirts off in inappropriate places (boys).

So what did I do? Well, I conquered my fear of cricket by going to the Test match last Friday with NB. (He took it very well when I made us spend three hours in the oyster tent, watching the big screen instead of the actual cricket happening not two hundred yards away.) I had dinner with Matt at the Blue Elephant in Fulham on Monday (is Thai food not the best in the world?) and spent an obscene amount of money on buying him a shot of Johnny Walker blue (or should that be black?) whisky.

I immersed myself in leftiness on Tuesday, and felt a whisper of smug satisfaction wash over me. I spent Wednesday (the hottest day of the year, TM) on trains to and from Oxford, where I had lunch with Paul and once again talked too much about my love of the Game.

Thursday was the Pen Pusher party, where I got the chance to introduce Leon to some of my friends from university. Amazingly, he survived. Then on Friday, I scampered off to Guildford to see Bill and Sharon, and to go to a signing of the Fourth Bear by Jasper Fforde. I am now trying to restrain myself from buying a "Sommeworld" or "Toast Marketing Board" t-shirt.

But, I hear you cry: what plans for the week ahead? Well, on Monday Fel and I are going to 'Take a Break tales', a comedy show based on coverlines from Take A Break magazine. How awesome does that sound?

Yeah, that was pretty much just a list of all the exciting things I did this week. Sorry. But humour me: I don't get to do this much; go out and pretend I am a cool young socialite, rather than a grey cardigan-wearing night worker.

7 Comments:

Anonymous lb said...

I not only survived, I enjoyed it. I think my liver's just about ready for another of the Duke of Manchester's cocktails now.

7/24/2006 11:53 am  
Blogger galatea said...

Yes, you can say what you like about the English aristocracy, but they know what to do with a raspberry.

I also very much enjoyed eating the diaphragm (not a sentence I had ever imagined uttering...)

7/24/2006 2:38 pm  
Anonymous lb said...

I have to say of all diaphragms I have ever eaten, it was the best.

7/24/2006 4:18 pm  
Blogger a.c.t said...

Sounds like a great holiday to me. And yes, Thai food is fantastic, has you ever been to The Churchill Arms in Kensington? Every dish is £6 and the food is amazing.

7/24/2006 10:38 pm  
Blogger galatea said...

Oddly enough, my editor when I was a restaurant reviewer said that was her favourite restaurant in all of London. Hmm, I must check that out - if only, if only, I worked around Kensington...

7/24/2006 11:26 pm  
Blogger a.c.t said...

I presume you are able to use public transport? It's really not that far. We only went 2 weeks ago, but are going again this weekend - it's that fantastic.

7/27/2006 12:32 am  
Blogger Tamburlaine said...

You managed to resist a Toast Marketing Board T-shirt! You are made of stern stuff, obviously. What's The Fourth Bear? I've only just got round to reading The Big Over Easy - Jasper Fforde is a genius.

8/01/2006 6:28 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home