Sunday, February 19, 2006

sunday sunday.

I really shouldn't be posting, you know. I should be lying on my bed with a moist towelette covering my bloodshot eyes and whimpering softly. I've just come back from a weekend in Oxford, where I was sucked into that peculiarly Oxbridge phenomenon: the bop.

For those of you not lucky enough to have spent three years musing about the meaning of life amidst the dreaming spires while never, ever getting laid, let me enlighten you. A bop is like a house party, only it's in a bar. It's like going to a club, only everyone is wearing school uniform, or in drag. I think the closest approximation in terms of price of drinks, quality of music and ridiculousness of clothes must be a wedding disco or perhaps some kind of yokel town hall jolly.

I digress. Of course now that I have left university and become a sushi-eating metropole, with an actual job to boot, I thought such joys were closed to me forever. Not so. In the company of W (identifying quote: "When I started at university, we didn't have the internet. We didn't even have email.") I dared to venture to the "Old School" bop. I have to say I feel they missed a trick by not spelling that with a "k", and indeed by not basing it on the film of the same name, but you can't have everything.

Anyway, suffice it to say that I am far too old, really, for such capers - and certainly too old for: dancing to Britney Spears with any degree of credibility, sleeping on the floor, and talking about "the system" to 19 year olds, all of which I attempted.

--

Please let it be noted that the crapness of this post can be explained with reference to my new theory: February is a pointless month, in which nothing good or memorable has ever happen. here's the proof.

6 Comments:

Anonymous doobyus said...

Bop on you bad girl, you.

2/22/2006 9:37 am  
Blogger Paul B said...

Aren't students young-looking now we've left? I was at a bop myself on Saturday and was shocked that people didn't know all the words to Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince, preferring The Killers or Busted instead. And they played YMCA at about 10.45, when only about 20 people were even there...

What's the world coming to?

2/22/2006 2:02 pm  
Blogger galatea said...

It's youth culture.... GONE MAD.

2/22/2006 3:48 pm  
Blogger Paul B said...

It's like Dick 'n' Dom.... ON ACID.

Or something.

2/22/2006 4:58 pm  
Blogger Sarah Jane said...

22 is exactly the right age to start doing what you described, and the height of it all is far ahead of you... Don't get old before your time people!

2/25/2006 4:29 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're too old?! Tcha!

I went to a bop on Saturday as well, as it was my MA graduation (Oxbridge degrees, like mobile phones, come with a free upgrade after two years).

My mother, up to check out the Latin fun, came to the bop as well, and had a whale of a time.

Not only that, she blagged in by "lick-and-sticking" my wrist stamp.

Too old, schmoo old.

3/01/2006 4:49 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home