Friday, January 20, 2006

Friday, I'm (not) in love

I don't want somebody to love me/just give me sex whenever I want it/Cause all I ask for is instant pleasure/Instant pleasure, Instant pleasure...

Thank you, Rufus Wainwright, for illustrating the point of today's post, which is about the last taboo. No, not anal sex - as The Hitch points out to the left, it's rubbish - but (gasp with horror at my bravery) enjoying being single.

I know. What happened? I watched Bridget Jones, I thought about being eaten by alsatians; I read End of the Affair, Romeo and Juliet, and the bloody English Patient, for chrissakes; I've compulsively watched Sex and The City and thought about the awfulness of churning through flaky men, trying to find Mr Right, to the accompaniment of the ever-louder ticking of my biological clock. And yet - I'm really rather liking being toute seule.

The reason it's taboo, surely, is that all my reasons are selfish. I don't want to get hurt (which is itself selfish, I suppose) but more than that, I can't be bothered. I like having my bed to myself; doing what I want, when I want; having weekends where I spend the days on the sofa watching Cracker, and the evenings with my friends; it's a hell of a lot cheaper (I always go for poor blokes, and am a soft touch) and I now exude the granite-like emotional stability of, say, Gordon Brown.

Of course there are downsides, soppy ones mostly, like lazy mornings in bed, and the pleasant surprises a relationship throws up from time to time. I suppose I should miss 'having someone to lean on' who is 'always on my side', but my friends pick up the slack quite nicely on that one, and cause less argments to boot.

The only drawback that really bothers me now is ridiculous, really: I feel like I'm letting the side down. I'm in my twenties, living in London, I'm neurotic and over-educated, I enjoy trashy romantic comedies and my friends have started getting married. Why am I happy being single? There must be something wrong with me.

Anyway, some of you may have heard about the "manbargo" I imposed last year, which expires in February. Well, I'm renewing it for another three months - maybe I can flush all this exuberant independence out of my system, and become a normal twentysomething woman again.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Laura said...

As the lines goes in The Great Gatsby: everyone is either the persued, the persuing, the busy or the tired.

Everyone appears to be the latter of these recently.

1/20/2006 8:28 pm  
Blogger The Grinch said...

Ah, but you can get away with this, because you're a girl.

I have a theory, and it is this: when you're a girl, being single is actually a choice, a lifestyle, a badge of honour.

When you're a man, it just means you're tragic and you don't wash.

1/20/2006 11:42 pm  
Blogger hangthedj said...

A man-bargo since last Feb? Er, hang on....

1/21/2006 4:27 pm  
Blogger galatea said...

no, no, hangthedj- the manbargo only came into force in July.

1/22/2006 9:26 pm  
Blogger Paul B said...

The writing style and tone of this post seems awfully familiar - did you used to write in the OxStu?

And although it's a completely different tune to the one to which you refer at the start, I've suddenly got an impulse to listen to 10cc...

1/24/2006 12:18 pm  
Anonymous doobyus said...

Singleness is mighty enjoyable.

Togetherness is fun too.

The best of both worlds would be to have someone of your preferred gender to hang out with, buy presents for (and have them bought for you), shag when you are both in the mood (or when one isn't in the mood, to have that person assist in the procuring of a suitable shag partner for the one who is)and still have all the time, space and money you need for yourself.

Wait, isn't that Angelina Jolie?

Anyway, as a twentysomething woman, shouldn't you be doing nothing but gratifying your primal urges at any expense?

1/25/2006 5:19 pm  
Blogger leflange said...

People only choose to be single if they've got an STD, a number of different people to fuck, or a desire to offer an excuse. I for one am pretty sure that once galatea's muff-pus is gone, she'll be back in the GAME.

Just like I'm back in the blogging game, bitches.

Uh.

1/26/2006 5:16 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home