Friday, May 13, 2005

reality tv

i love reality tv. i'm hard-pressed to explain it: i have watched every series of big brother (except the one with anoushka and tanya et al, must have had a life/boyfriend that summer), i bitterly regret not having seen rebecca loos pleasure a pig, i watched hell's kitchen the night before my last finals exam (and very nearly stayed on for "extra portions"). but i have to make a confession: i am repelled by the thought of celebrity love island.

there it is. i am secretly a puritan, not a crazy heir of the free-love generation. i actually find something morally repugnant about the idea of sending a handful of no-mark celebrities off to live in luxury so the viewing public can sit around, sweaty-palmed, waiting for them to fuck.

my thoughts turn, as they sadly often do, to lord rochester. god bless the mucky verse writer, he had this right: that for sex to be shocking and titillating, you have to start from the assumption that it's bad and covert and seedy. if you become too open about sex, it is inevitably reduced to something mechanic and ultimately mundane.

this is a pretty shady viewpoint, i suppose, given that i would never advocate a return to pre-1960s attitudes, where sex is never mentioned, contraceptives banned and homosexuality outlawed. but still, i wonder if there is anything sexy about sex when it's inevitable?

oh god, i have to stop writing. i actually typed that sentence sitting at my desk, in my pants, feeling thoughtful. i am carrie bradshaw's uglier younger sister.

soon my blog will be full of phrases like, "so, i got to thinking, when did ex become synonymous with sex?" and "are we all just bonobo monkeys in the zoo of sexual experience?"

3 Comments:

Blogger The guttersniper said...

"i actually typed that sentence sitting at my desk, in my pants, feeling thoughtful". Interesting, because I'm sitting at my desk, with my hand in my pants, feeling my balls.

5/15/2005 3:06 pm  
Blogger galatea said...

that's interesting, because i always write this blog with my hand on someone's balls. that's why the entries are so short.

5/15/2005 11:16 pm  
Blogger Artegall said...

As long as it's the balls between your breasts, that all makes perfect sense.

5/16/2005 5:42 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home