Tuesday, May 03, 2005

poetry corner

as i am going to work hard today and not bugger round on the internet (yes i am), today's entry will have a literary and pro-active bent. After some thought, I will be compiling a list of my favourite poets:

  • e e cummings - including great sexy/playful poems like may i feel said he and very timely anti-war poetry like why must itself up every of a park
  • wendy cope - including the pithiest poem in the world, two cures for love and her bitingly deflating waste land limericks)
  • gerard manley hopkins - absolute genius with the basic building blocks of poetry, and knew a thing or two about consonants. the darker poems are almost unbearably tortured, both in meaning and form.
  • john wilmot, earl of rochester - yes, yes, we all love the ones about sex, but there's also very thoughtful stuff like A Satyr on Reason and Mankind
  • alexander pope
  • thomas nashe (ok, he only wrote one extant poem - but it's about dildos! it was written in the 1590s! give the man some credit)
  • thomas hardy
  • er, does shakespeare count in lists like these? frankly, i could take or leave venus and adonis and the rape of lucrece, but i bloody love the dark lady sonnets.


    There are so many kinds of awful men--
    One can't avoid them all. She often said
    She'd never make the same mistake again;
    She always made a new mistake instead.


    by my reckoning, i've still got the ageing banker and "The practised charmer, less than charming when/ He talked about the wife and kids and fled" to go.

  • 2 Comments:

    Blogger hangthedj said...

    Ah yes poetry! At the moment I have been re-reading my works of Lord Byron's poetry. Espescially poignant for me at the moment is "When we two are parted".
    The first stanza holds particular significance for my iminent meeting with my ex. It reads:

    "In secret we met
    In silence I grieve
    That thy heart could forget,
    Thy spirit deceive.
    If I should meet thee
    After long years,
    How should I greet thee?
    With silence and tears."

    I was going to mention Plath, but actually I am about as depressed as is possible so will end on a lighter note. Poems on the Underground-What a great idea! Its a break from advertisements and if it gets more people interested in poetry then great. Although I did notice one a couple of months ago, on my way to a shorthand class entitled:"I have a gentil cock". As you can imagine I had to rub my eyes and look again. Not as exciting as it sounds though. It is actually about a rooster rather than what I thought it was.

    5/05/2005 1:25 pm  
    Blogger galatea said...

    some of those poems on the underground are very good. however, someone made the grave error of letting benjamin zephaniah in on the act.

    5/05/2005 1:41 pm  

    Post a Comment

    << Home