Saturday, April 30, 2005

the story


Pygmalion and Galatea

Someone asked me how I got my stupid posting name. It's from the legend of Pygmalion and Galatea in Ovid's Metamorphoses - the sculptor who carves the perfect woman, and then begs the gods for it to be brought to life.

I'm not going to apologise for having done Latin A-level and found this out, but I think I have to say sorry for thinking it would be amusing to have my internet alter-ego as the perfect woman.

Press Review: This is extremely creepy. Having been brought up by a mother who fiercely believes in natural birth, breast feeding and the whole shebang, I thought I was quite relaxed aboutthe idea of children being breastfed until toddlerhood. Turns out, I'm not. I feel that if your child can ask to suck your breast, the time has come to take it off the menu. And don't listen to the case study woman's guff about WHO guidelines - I'll bet you a fiver they are intended for women in the developing world, where that's the most efficient form of feeding there is for small children, and evil nameless companies try to persuade mothers of young children onto powdered milk for profit. It's also supposed to be a contraceptive, although it clearly hasn't worked in this woman's case.

Although the phrase "militant breastfeeder" is quite a good one, and something I hope to be able to use more in everyday conversation.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Extreme breastfeeding makes it sound like a potential olympic sport.

5/01/2005 12:07 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home